Located in downtown Colorado Springs, The Hanger fulfills the need for clothing and personal items for local teens who are victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence living in the foster care system.
Foster teens are able to “shop” for donated clothes and accessories, free of charge. It’s a simple concept that most of us take for granted, but for a foster kid, being able to choose and wear your own clothes helps build self-esteem. “I walked into foster care with a small bag of clothes, having to give up my home, and most of my belongings,” said 15-year-old Maria. “Just owning a nice pair of jeans means a lot. They’re stylish, and they’re mine,” she said.
Teens have the opportunity to help operate the store, providing them with valuable work experience. Many foster teens have no job experience, making it very difficult to find employment when they turn 18 and age out of the system. While working in the store, teens are mentored and coached by adult volunteers and go through a complete hiring and training process. CASA partners with local organizations and volunteers to provide life skills workshops and other opportunities for personal and professional growth for teens. The goal is to help teens transition from foster care to becoming independent, self-sufficient and productive adults in the community.
The Hanger is a project of CASA’s Milton Foster Children’s Fund committee. The volunteer committee fulfills requests for children and teens in out of home placement in El Paso and Teller counties. Requests for funding include sports, recreation and educational opportunities that build self-esteem and resiliency. The fund does not fulfill requests for clothing, however, so The Hanger was created to fill that gap.
The Hanger: Serving children/teens age 12–21 who are living in foster care
- Location: 214 N. Tejon St., Colorado Springs
- Hours: Open every Saturday from 1:00-4:00pm
If you would like to donate items to The Hanger, we need:
- In-season and stylish new or gently used clothes for teen boys and girls.
- Accessories, shoes, purses, backpacks.
- New personal hygiene items, including full-size shampoos, conditioners, body wash, cologne or perfume, nail polish, hairbrushes/combs.
- New bras, underwear, boxers, undershirts.
Items can be dropped off at:
1. The CASA office, 701 S. Cascade Ave., Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm
2. The Hanger, 214 N. Tejon St., Saturdays from 1pm to 4 pm
3. If you need further assistance, please call 447-9898 x1026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to our Milton Foster Children’s Fund Committee volunteers: