The service of a CASA volunteer is selfless. It originates from a place of compassion, empathy, and love. You know that the work you do is crucial to a child’s future and sometimes you get to see a joyful breakthrough which illustrates the life-changing difference you are making. Other times, however, you might feel as though the weight of the world is on your shoulders.
It’s hard work being a CASA. If you experience symptoms of stress or burn-out, it might be time to put yourself first for a change. When stress hits, self-care is a powerful tool for reducing tension and restoring peace to your mind.
Self-care is more important than ever as we all live through this unprecedented pandemic. Please check out this resource from NAMI, and also this one from National CASA, for pandemic-related resources.
In addition, the CASA staff got together and came up with a list of top self-care practices. Next time you need to recharge your battery, try out one of these tactics!
- Get in touch with nature by going barefoot in your yard
- Soak up some sunshine, sitting by a stream or by your garden
- Listen to your body when it tells you it needs water, rest, hugs, etc.
- Cook or bake something yummy
- Do a crossword puzzle or other brain teaser
- Schedule a massage, facial, or a visit to the salon
- Take a nap
- Use lotion and chapstick (especially with all the hand sanitizer and mask wearing!)
- Read a book
- Treat yourself to a movie
- Sit with or call on an older relative or friend
- Have a heart-to-heart with a loved one
- Binge watch your new favorite show
- Draw yourself a bubble bath
- Take a trip to the mall
- Snuggle with your furry friend
- Make handmade cards for loved ones
- Do some drawing or painting
- Make a collage
- Head to a ceramics or pottery studio
- Build your new favorite playlist or discover some new tunes
- Dance like no one is watching
- Keep a journal, blog, or diary to reflect on what’s going on in your life.
- Do a full body stretch
- Take some time out for a walk, run, hike, or bike ride
- Practice breathing exercises
- Watch the sunrise or sunset
- Schedule lunch with a close friend