Success By 6® (SB6) is Pikes Peak United Way’s school readiness initiative, which addresses the importance of a child’s first six years of life. Success By 6 is preparing children to succeed in school and in life.
CASA volunteers promote early learning and literacy by:
- Monitoring children with the Ages and Stages tool to identify developmental delays, disorders, and school readiness.
- Working with preschool/Pre-K/Kindergarden teachers.
- Recommending intervention services to caretakers and the court, such as Early Head Start, developmental/physical/mental health assessments, and free books from our Hooked on Books partnership.
- Assessing households for books and educational materials.
- Referring community resources (library, parenting support) as needed.
- Include educational needs in reports to the court.
National studies show children with a CASA, compared to those without, receive nearly twice as many counseling services, are more likely to pass all courses, and less likely to have poor conduct in school.